08 November, 2007

~ Remembrance Day ~


They shall not grow old
As we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them nor
The years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning,
We will remember them.

We seem to think of veterans as old men, old women, with lined faces and silver hair. It is true that most of the veterans we know are seniors, but it is also true that when they served, these old men and women were the ages my own children are now. Many of them were little more than children themselves. They gave whatever was left of childhood for what they believed was The Greater Good.

They amaze me. They humble me. They make me weep in grateful wonder.

Please, if you are not already familiar with it, you must see Terry Kelly's tribute, A Pittance of Time.

The story: http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance/pittance_en.htm

The video may be accessed by clicking 'video'.

To see a larger-screen version of the video: http://www.army.gc.ca/chief_land_staff/remembrance/English/video.asp
(image: Ottawa Legions)


1 comment:

MonaS! said...

Beautiful sentiments Mylene. That is a beautiful video. We are mourning the loss of my cousin in Afghanistan - it hits so close to home. The other video I enjoy is called "Somebody's Husband, Somebody's son" by Aaron Lines. Its a video of soldiers killed in Afghanistan and their families(including my cousin Paul). I hope we never take for granted the sacrifices they have made for us!