13 March, 2009

~ Seasons ~

“Name your favourite season”
she said,
and I balked ~
how do I choose between those I love so much?


Shall I choose Spring for it’s awakening?
For it’s sweet new breath and delicate green lace?

Shall I say ‘yes’ to Spring for the arrival of
blessed warmth
and the appearance of
verdant
new shoots?
Precious Spring ~ I love you best!

Shall Summer ignite my passion?
Summer, with its’
twenty-hour days
and sweaty-degree heat,
Summer of the deepest greens and brightest flowers.
Mosquito-bitten, barefoot Summer ~

you are my favourite!

Shall Autumn’s golden elegance claim my heart?
As shadows lengthen and days darken,
Autumn steals upon me
~ a secret, determined lover ~
whispering
(it’s crisp breath a thrill upon my ear)
of a slower pace.
Autumn, o gilded season ~ how I adore you!

Shall I submit to the crystal promise
Winter leaves upon my doorstep?
Severe of beauty,

fierce Winter demands respect ~
yet, in return,
presents me with
a world a-glitter.
Diamond upon diamond,
I am held fast within Winter’s
fearsome thrall.
Season of Ice, you have my heart.



Peace ~

3 comments:

Cindye Wile said...

:) Beautiful. Your words always make me smile. thank you for that.

Anonymous said...

Trying to pick a favorite is like choosing a favorite child - impossible.
Choose instead life and all the seasons within it and all the changes each season brings.
Robin

Anonymous said...

I love this, Em. Although I do have a favourite season, each one brings newness and comes just in time to freshen us with it. And like you always say, each day is a joy, just because I have awakened to it. Therefore each season is also to be enjoyed.
Janice