06 May, 2008

~ Dibs ~

Our home is filled with the things most homes are filled with – family pictures, well-loved books, Grandma’s Bible, Granddad’s wood planes. Our home is also filled with odd treasures - hand-me-down furniture, rescued chairs, auction riches, and I could never have guessed some of the things my children would become attached to.

One of my sons has called dibs on the old restaurant dishes we use every day. One son wants my typewriter, another wants the clock, one daughter has claimed the photographs of her great-great-grandparents, and the other has laid claim to certain books. Who knows why certain things are important to each of them?

We used to take road trips. We would load up the Suburban (or, many years earlier, the much-despised minivan) and trailer and we would head out across three provinces, singing songs, playing games, lifting our feet as we crossed every railway, ducking our heads as we passed under every overpass, holding our breath as we crossed every bridge, stopping every thirty-two miles because someone had to pee. We kept large scrapbooks, some of them old-time scrapbooks with black pages, in which we made Dear Diary entries every night before bed. We (well, I) wrote out what we had done that day, where we had gone, whom we had seen, and so on. We included ticket stubs, postcards, brochures, till receipts, maps, and all manner of good stuff. The day's entry always ended with everyone's favourite part of the day. Sometimes instead of telling every story, I wrote something like, "Remember Finnegan doing acrobatics and getting caught up in the tree?" or "Remember putting David's snakes in our pockets?" or "Remember the dead fox on the railway tracks?" which sparked memories and encourageed the kids to tell the stories themselves.

These summertime journals become bedtime stories, generally somewhere around the middle of January when tales of bright, sweltering summer days were a welcome distraction from deepest winter. The reading and storytelling usually took us way past bedtime, but what of it? We were reliving the memories we had created together – who could send children to bed in the middle of such moments? The scrapbook journals, fat and bulgy, frayed, stained, several even smeared with bug guts (Manitoba mosquitoes are the worst!), are some of my children’s most well loved treasures.

My kids aren’t shy about putting dibs on whatever it is they want from the house after I die. They have no problem calling the blue jug, or my typewriter, or my red gloves. Sometimes they ask if they can have certain things before I die. The one who gets my engagement ring once said, “Hurry up and go so I can have my ring”. Little brat. (grin) Oddly, my kids don't fight over who will get the fancy scrapbook albums with their pretty layouts and carefully protected pages…..but there is an ongoing battle over who will have custody of the holiday journals. Ü

Really, knowing my brood, I ought to have seen that one coming.

3 comments:

Traceemom said...

Funny how my brother and I have done that too. Most of what we have asked for is attached to a memory that each of us carry. Probably me more so. I remember my mom, at one point, had asked us two girls who would like her wedding rings...little sister replied, very quickly, me...and I followed by, I want dad's ring, you both wore it. (mom had dad's ring sized to fit her due to dad's job). Little sister quickly switched gears! LOL, for me it was a symbol of the two of them :) Thanks for sharing your stories! :)

AmyInKy said...

I loved this story. It brought back memories. I used to do this to my Mamma and Pappa. As I got older, Mamma started "gifting" many of the things I called for my birthday gifts. My Pappa did also after Mamma passed. By the time he passed away, I was content in knowing everything I had, had been given to me with a story from them. These things mean a lot and I know they will to my children one day, too.
Thanks for sharing your story!

~ Mylene ~ said...

(smiling softly and nodding in understanding) Thank you for the gifts of your stories, Tracee and Amy. Our hearts are connected, my friends, how fortunate we all are.