28 April, 2010

~ I Have A Letter ~

I have a letter.

“Frrrom Rrruss-ia,” I say aloud, rolling the r’s and flattening the vowels. It seems the thing to do.

The letter sits on top of the other mail on the seat beside me as I drive home from the Post Office. “Frrrom Rrruss-ia,” I say again as wait for water to boil for tea. I lay the letter on the desktop while I pay the phone bill.

It is a slim envelope bearing five stamps and three cancellation marks, resting, feather-light, in my hands. I ad
mire the precise printing, smile at the numbers formed in penmanship typical of the part of the world from which the letter originated. I tally the cost of postage, and wonder what the conversion is to my own dollars.

I lay the letter on the table while I make supper...

...and clear the dishes...

...and watch the news.


I lean the letter against the soap dish on the counter while I have my bath...

...and check my email...

...and drink another cup of tea.

Letters have had fascinating journeys. Letters have travelled by truck, by plane, by train. Letters have gone under and over. Letters have gone through. Despite the 8,054 kilometres separating me from its sender, this letter has spent 58 days travelling from half-way around the globe. It has been a long passage, so I let it rest until it is ready to share its secrets.

It is time.

I am careful to slit the envelope neatly along the top edge. Careful, too, withdrawing the letter. I devour the words, then return to the beginning and read through again, more slowly. I smile. I sigh. I return the letter to its envelope and prop it against my tea mug.

I will read the letter again tomorrow, before slipping it into the small, worn trunk in my library - the keeper of the words that have come to me from across the globe. “Frrrom Rrruss-ia,” I will say, then fasten the latch.

Peace ~

6 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG
I would have torn the envelope open and devoured its contents before I even drove away from the post box.

You are such a tease, and your even tease and tantalize yourself WOW

Cindye Wile said...

I love to get letters in the mail. It's amazing how much that can make a person smile. Well, it does for me anyway. I always wait until I am home and settled and have my coffee beside me, and am comfy on my coach with my favorite blanket ... then I open my letter. :):)
And I read it several times as well and then put it away in it's special box.

doulanana said...

What a treat to get a letter in the mail!!!!

Tammy (Scrappy and T) said...

oh my .. I dont know how you could wait that long to open it =)

anna said...

I read the "complete profile" section of your blog, and I smiled broadly when I discovered one of your favorite books is Winnie the Pooh. I looove that book too! It's very hard to read it out loud to the kids, unfortunately. Otherwise, I would've read it to them a long time ago. LOL

Anonymous said...

Of all that I have read I think this one about the letter from Rrruss-ia is my favorite. Love the way you craft your craft. Also read through you list of favorite books. Knowing that you are a lover of the written word I will see if I can't find something appropriate that you might want to add to your list of favorite books.